Solgar L-Arginine 500 mg Vegetable Capsules (Free Form) Description
Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
- Premium quality amino acid essential for metabolism
- Plays a role in the chemical signals between cells
- Popular with athletes
- Vegan, Vegetarian, Kosher
L-Arginine 500 mg contains Arginine, one of the twenty classic amino acids involved in various pathways throughout the body.
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and are needed in several internal functions of the body. They are classified as "essential" or "non-essential", with essential amino acids meaning they cannot be manufactured by the body and must be supplied in the diet to maintain good all-round health. Amino acids can be further used by the body to create hormones, enzymes, neurotransmitters, antibodies and nutrient carriers. A suboptimal intake of the essential amino acids increases the body's need for the non-essential amino acids either through diet or supplementation. Foods that increase amino acid intake are meat, beans, cheese and eggs.
Arginine is a non-essential amino acid, and although it can be created by the body, some groups of people can benefit from an increased intake. It is popular with athletes because of its essential role in muscle metabolism, helping the transport, storage and excretion of nitrogen. It also assists with generation and regeneration of tissue and is highly concentrated in the skin and connective tissues.
L-Arginine 500 mg is to be taken in a one a day easy to take vegetable capsule.
Various studies on L-arginine have used different doses. For instance, for cardiovascular health reasons, doses from 8 to 21 grams daily have been used in divided doses. To help aid with sperm quantity and quality, doses of 10 to 20 grams daily have been used in divided doses. Doses of 5 grams daily have been used for erectile dysfunction. Doses of 1.5 to 2.4 grams daily have been used for interstitial cystitis.
- Although oral supplementation with L-arginine at doses up to 15 grams daily are generally well tolerated (the most common adverse reactions of higher doses — from 15 to 30 grams daily — are nausea, abdominal cramps and diarrhoea, and some may experience these symptoms at lower doses), we do not suggest using these dosages without medical guidance.
- Solgar L-Arginine 500mg
- L-Arginine is essential in muscle metabolism because it provides a vehicle for transport, storage and excretion of nitrogen.
- L-Arginine is an important component in tissue generation and regeneration.
- L-Arginine is highly concentrated in the skin and connective tissue and helps to remove ammonia from the body as part of the urea cycle.
- L-Arginine can be very helpful in cases of burns, trauma and sepsis.
- L-arginine has been shown to have immunomodulatory activity. For example, in human breast cancer, supplementation with this amino acid has been reported to increase the quantity and cytotoxic activity of natural killer (NK) cells and lymphokine-activated-killer (LAK) cells.
- L-arginine's possible activity in wound repair may be due to its precursor role in the formation of L-ornithine and, ultimately, L-proline. L-proline is a key element in collagen biosynthesis.
- There is preliminary evidence that L-arginine could be helpful in some men with erectile dysfunction.
- L-arginine has been shown to be helpful in reducing cholesterol and high blood pressure. It has also been helpful in those with angina pectoris.
- Several studies have found that L-arginine can help with interstitial cystitis. Other studies, however, have not reported benefit. It appears that L-arginine can decrease pain and urgency in some people with interstial cystitis , but more research is needed to confirm this.