Solgar 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytroptophan) Description
Product Type: Nutritional Supplement
Mood, appetite, sleep
- Reduces anxiety and improves mood
- Increase quality of sleep without increasing total sleep time
- L-5-Hydroxytryptophan Complex with added valerian and Vitamin B6
- Vegan, Vegetarian, Kosher, Halal
- Free from sugar, salt and starch
Solgar 5-HTP is a complex formulated to help those individuals coping with modern day stresses and strains which may be effecting sleep or mood balance. This unique formula is designed to help you switch off from a busy day and aid a restful sleep in just 1-2 capsules a day.
5-HTP is a chemical created from an essential amino acid, which is then converted into serotonin. With our modern lifestyles, it can be hard to switch off after a long day and many of us find it difficult to wind down and get good quality sleep. Erratic eating habits may also contribute to low levels of serotonin. Serotonin is converted to melatonin, which is used by the body to create our sleep-wake cycle. When levels are low we find it hard to relax and drift off to sleep.
The 100 mg of 5-HTP per capsule may support serotonin levels, which combined with Vitamin B6 contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. Finally the inclusion of valerian, which has also been traditionally used to reduce symptoms of anxiety and promote quality of sleep. 5-HTP L-5-Hydroxytryptophan Complex Vegetable Capsules are suitable for vegans and are soya, dairy and gluten free.
This information gleaned from Ray Sahelian, M.D.
"Some people who take 5-HTP notice improved mood, decrease in appetite, reduced anxiety, and better sleep. I have come across some individuals who get wired instead of sleepy when taking 5-HTP.
Some find that 5-HTP helps curb appetite and leads to weight loss. This nutrient could be used temporarily for appetite suppression while other lifestyle and dietary changes are being incorporated regarding a life long plan for keeping weight off. Not everyone notices the appetite suppressing effect from 5-HTP.
- 5-HTP may be temporarily helpful in conditions that normally require prescription antidepressants, ant-ianxiety agents, sleeping pills, and weight loss drugs.
- 5-HTP may also be helpful in some individuals with migraine headaches and fibromyalgia.
- 5-HTP reduces the severity of a panic attack which may indicate that panic attacks may be due to low serotonin levels.
A study in rodents indicates that 5-HTP may be useful in controlling the excessive food intake sometimes generated by stress, even if given without decarboxylase inhibitors or other drugs."